Dr Anna Freni Sterrantino, Research Associate
Job Title and Responsibilities:
Research Associate in Statistics for Environmental Epidemiology
An overview of your responsibilities:
- Develop statistical models for environmental epidemiological studies and provide statistical support on major research projects within SAHSU and the MRC-PHE Centre
- Lead on the day-to-day management of SAHSU projects
- Contribute to the teaching (Undergraduate and Postgraduate)
- Coordinate R-workshops with the Researchers’ Society
Main research projects:
- Incinerators Study
- Mixture profile regression
- Statistical support for SAHSU projects
My main areas of research are Bayesian hierarchical models and spatial simulations. In particular, I am interested in developing and improve statistical methods within environmental epidemiology.
Within the team, I provide statistical expertise in spatio-temporal modelling and advice on appropriate designs and statistical analysis.
Currently, I am involved in the evaluation of the effect of municipal incinerators on reproductive health outcomes, on the development of an R package for simulation studies and other SAHSU projects on the health effects of multivariate environmental exposures.
Besides my research, I am an active member of the Researchers' Society and also a Post-docs representative for the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. In both roles, I am involved in the organisation of scientific events, workshops and offer support to other post-docs and phD students.
2010- PhD: Methodological statistics for Scientific Research – University of Bologna
2003- BA: Statistics and Economics- University of Siena
Professional Memberships and Activities:
•Co-Chair MRC-PHE Centre for Environment and Health Researchers’ Society
• Post Doc Representative for Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
• Treasurer International Society for Applied Bayesian (ISBA) Section on Biostatistics and Pharmaceutical Statistics
• Member of International Biometric Society (IBS)
- Bayesian spatio-temporal modeling
- Simulation studies
- Power Calculations
- Environmental Epidemiology
- R coding
Ranzi A, Freni Sterrantino A, Forastiere F, Sartini C, Casale G, Cavallini R, De Togni A, Gallo L, Lauriola P Asthmatic symptoms and air pollution: a panel study on children living in the Italian Po Valley. Geospat Health. 2015 Nov 26;10(2):
Cordioli M, Ranzi A, Freni Sterrantino A, Erspamer L, Razzini G, Ferrari U, Gatti MG, Bonora K, Artioli F, Goldoni CA, Lauriola P. A comparison between self-reported and GIS-based proxies of residential exposure to environmental pollution in a case-control study on lung cancer. Spat Spatiotemporal Epidemiol. 2014 Jun;9:37-45
Takenaka S, Ventura W, Freni Sterrantino A, Sekizawa A. Prediction of Fetal Growth Restriction by Analyzing the Messenger RNAs of Angiogenic Factor in the Plasma of Pregnant Women. Reproductive Sciences. 2014 Dec; 22(6)
Farina A, Rapacchia G, Freni Sterrantino A, Pula G, Morano D, Rizzo N. Prospective evaluation of ultrasound and biochemical-based multivariable models for the prediction of late pre-eclampsia. Prenat Diagn. 2011 Dec;31(12):1147-52
Telephone number(s):+44(0)20759 43276